• Narrow screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Friday, 15 Nov 2019
YOU ARE HERE: Home Municipality The locality of Plötzky
The locality of Plötzky

Auenlandschaft1Location and History

Plötzky is located on the northern edge of the glacial valley of the river Elbe where a pasture landscape still exists which is characterized by numerous Old Elbe inshore waters, areas of Elbe meadows woods and groups of undergrowth, areas of arable land used for agricultural purposes and meadows as well as marshlands.

The pine woods in the north of Plötzky and the more than 20 delightful woodland lakes, which are situated around the village, have created a landscape that has already been a wonderful place for nature lovers, holiday-makers and camping enthusiasts for years.

The locality of Plötzky already existed at the time of Otto I, around the year 1000, as is evident from an undated document referring to it as Plochiwiski.
Its location close to the river Elbe and to the "Old Salt Road" promoted the development of Plötzky into an important trading place with market charter.
Plötzky gained in importance and good reputation after the Cistercian convent was founded in 1210.
In 1228 it was first mentioned in a document as Plozeke (derived from the early Slav word "plot" - "fence").
From 1261 to 1594 the jurisdiction was practised.
In old chronicles Plötzky was described as a "town in the Anhalt land of the count of castle Magdeburg".


 

Pltzky_Roland1The Plötzky Roland statue  

Even in the end of the 14th century Plötzky had a Roland statue.
The Roland statue represents a knight with a judicial sword and is regarded as a symbol of the town charter.
Up to the beginning of the 18th century it had been located in front of the town hall which was close to the convent.
Since 1725 a new Roland statue made of wood had been erected in the vicarage´s front garden.
There it had been stood up to 1916 and it is supposed that the Roland statue was used for firewood like many other Roland statues were.
Since 1 October 2005 again there is a Roland statue made of sandstone in the village centre on the "Romanesque Road" which leads through Plötzky.

For further information also see:
http://www.ploetzky.de/ (external link)
http://www.rolandnetzwerk.de/ (external link)
http://www.romanikstrasse.de/ (external link)   
http://www.sachsen-anhalt-tourismus.de/ (external link in English)


 

Badesee1The Quarries

Plötzky won renown as a result of its quarries.
From the 12th century onwards, quarzite stone was quarried in the area around Plötzky.
Quarzite stone was also used for building the former Plötzky Cistercian convent and the churches in Leitzkau, Plötzky and Pretzien, as well as Havelberg Cathedral, the mole in Hamburg and the streets in Berlin.
At the beginning of the 20th century the quarries declined in significance.
In 1963 the last quarry was closed down and the quarrying of the sand was called off to a great extent.
The former quarries and sandpits turned into idyllic lakes with emerald green water which are up to 30 metres deep.

 


 

Tourism

auf_der_Radtour1Today, Plötzky is an attractive part of the Elbe Meadows recreation area.
The very well-equipped camping sites and pensions, a well-developed network of cycle paths connecting Plötzky with the localities of Pretzien and Ranies, which are also part of the municipality of Schönebeck (Elbe), a keep-fit course and a nature and history trail are ideal for varied leisure activities.
This unique landscape of the Elbe meadows can be explored by guided hiking tours and cycle tours.  

Guided tours and tour arrangements as wanted are available upon request:
contact: Wilfried Kiske
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 150
emailcontact

St.Maria_Magdalena_Kirche1St. Mary Magdalene Church

The church, originally a pilgrimage church named "Kreuzkirche", was built in 1170.
After the demolition of the convent church St. Mary Magdalene which also was situated in Plötzky and belonged to the Cistercian convent founded in 1210 the village church got the name "St. Mary Magdalene".
Remarkable features are the round Romanesque baptismal font made of sandstone and the Baroque pulpit.

opening hours:
May to September
dayly from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
visits outside the opening hours available upon request
contact: retired parish priest Rüdiger Meussling
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 76 808

Heimatstube1Heimatstube (Local Museum) Plötzky

Over the course of the village?s development, old and new have been successfully combined. 
Old rural traditions are cultivated and revived in the Heimatfest, the Farmers? Market and in the Heimatstube local museum Plötzky.

The local museum houses also objects relating to the local history and to craftsmen equipment, as well as valuable information on the Plötzky Roland statue.

Heimatstube (Local Museum) Plötzky
address: Salzstr. 11, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky

opening hours:
May to September
Sun: 1 - 5 p.m.
public holidays closed
visits outside the opening hours available upon request
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 150
emailcontact

For further information also see:
http://www.ploetzky.de/ (external link)

FPklW11Camping and Caravan

The camping site "Kleiner Waldsee" (small woodland lake) is a popular destination for families with children and the active generation 50+ from home and abroad.
It provides a broad spectrum of wellness and leisure services.

camp site "Kleiner Waldsee"
run by: Ferienpark Plötzky
address: Kleiner Waldsee 1, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49 (0) 39200 / 50 155
fax: +49 (0) 39200 / 76 082
emailcontact
http://www.ferienpark-ploetzky.de/ (external link)
season:
- all year
number of places:
- 200 for annual rent
- 170 for tourist campers (tent, RV, caravan)
further offers:
- holiday home and caravan hire
- tipi village
- boat hire and bike rental
- children´s playground (indoor/outdoor)
- wellness center
- restaurant

For more information on further camping sites:
Camping/Caravan >> (link)


 

Restaurants and Accommodation

Alte_Fhre2Gasthaus "Alte Fähre"
address: Alte Fähre 2a, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)3928/ 46 91 51

 

 

 

GklW1Pension und Restaurant "Am Kleinen Waldsee"
Ferienpark Plötzky
address: Kleiner Waldsee 1, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 50 155
http://www.ferienpark-ploetzky.de/ (external link)

 

 

Pension zur "Alten Schmiede"
address: Salzstraße 14, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 66 728
fax: +49(0)39200/ 62 02 09
mobile: +49(0)173 65 95 429
emailcontact      
http://www.pension-zur-alten-schmiede.de/ (external link)

HexeGasthaus "Zur Hexe"
address: Salzstraße 19, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 76 093

 

 

 

BBGaststätte & Pension "Birkenblick"
address: Friedhofsweg 9, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 186

 

 

 

"Klönstube"
address: Karl-Marx-Str. 18, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 52 749

"Zur Alten Garage"
address: Waldstraße 27, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 805


 

Culture and Infrastructure

In Plötzky the following cultural and infrastructural facilities are available:

- Heimatverein Plötzky/Ostelbien e.V.
  (local history society)
- SV Eintracht 62 Plötzky e.V.
  (sports society)
- Fit and More - Sport-und Freizeitverein Plötzky 91 e.V.
  (sports and leisure society)
- Kleintierzüchterverein
  (small animal breeders´society)
- Taubenzüchterverein
  (pigeon breeders´society)
- Knobelklub Plötzky 
  (dice club)
- Jagdverein
  (hunting society)
- Anglerverein Plötzky
  (anglers´society)
- Volkskunstunterhaltungsensemble  "Von´s´ Dorf"
  (folk entertainment society)
- Evangelische Frauenhilfe e. V.
  (protestant women´s assistance)
- Sudetendeutsche Landsmannschaft
  (welfare and cultural association for Germans born in the eastern areas of the former Reich)
- Volkssolidarität
  (social relief organisation)
- Deutsches Rotes Kreuz (DRK) 
  (German Red Cross)

Plötzky local office (Ortschaftsbüro Plötzky)
address: Salzstr. 11, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 911
fax: +49(0)39200/ 76 737
or via Citizens´Office of the town of Schönebeck (Elbe)
Tel.: +49(0)3928/ 710 611-613

opening hours:
Monday: 9 - 12 a.m.
Thuesday: 9 - 12 a.m. and 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 - 12 a.m.
Thursday: 1 - 4 p.m.

Kita_Pltzky_Kleine_Stifte1child-care centre
"Haus der kleinen Stifte"
address: Friedhofsweg 4, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 923
run by: Stadt Schönebeck (Elbe)
emailcontact 
number of places: 61
offer: crèche, kindergarten

 

youth club Plötzky
address: A.-Schweitzer-Str. 6, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 52 900
run by: Society "Rückenwind"

Grundschule_Pltzky1primary school Plötzky
address: Schulstr. 7, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel./fax: +49(0)39200/ 51 922
emailcontact 
http://www.gs-ploetzky.bildung-lsa.de/
(external link)

 

 

Hort_Ploetzky1after school centre
address: Schulstr. 7, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky
tel.: +49(0)39200/ 53 095
run by: Stadt Schönebeck (Elbe)
emailcontact  
number of places: 79

 

 

Ortsfeuerwehr_Ploetzky1local fire brigade Plötzky
part of the volunteer fire brigade of the Town of Schönebeck (Elbe)
address: Albert-Schweitzer-Straße 6 b, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky