• Narrow screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Friday, 15 Nov 2019
YOU ARE HERE: Home Leisure & Tourism Local Information
Local Information


Local information and sights in the region around Schönebeck

lake_TiefenseeThere is an abundance of interesting places for tourists to visit as they explore the surroundings of Schönebeck.

The area of lakes and pine woods on the eastern bank of the Elbe as well as numerous lakes created from former quarries is a popular destination for families, campers, cyclists and nature lovers, especially in the summer months.

A well-developed network of cycle paths connects the localities of Plötzky, Pretzien and Ranies, which are part of the municipality of Schönebeck (Elbe), and provides ideal conditions for extended cycle tours. 

 


Pltzky_Roland_StatuePlötzky

The locality of Plötzky already existed at the time of Otto I, around the year 1000, as is evident from an undated document referring to it as Plochiwiski.

From the 12th century onwards, quarzite stone was quarried in the area around Plötzky.

Quarzite stone was also used for building the churches in Plötzky and Pretzien, as well as Havelberg Cathedral and the mole in Hamburg.

At the beginning of the 20th century the quarries declined in significance.
Today, Plötzky is part of the Elbe Meadows recreation area; the lakes created by the quarrying of quarzite and sand have led to the establishment of holiday chalets and camping sites.

There are ample opportunities for bathing, hiking, cycling, fishing, riding, hunting and jogging.

Over the course of the village?s development, old and new have been successfully combined. 
Old rural traditions are cultivated and revived in the Heimatfest, the Farmers? Market and in the Heimatstube local museum.

Sights:
Plötzky Roland statue, Local museum (Heimatstube), keep-fit course, Church of St. Mary Magdalene, nature and history trail

Plötzky Local Office (Ortschaftsbüro Plötzky)
Address: Salzstr. 11, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Plötzky,
Tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 911 
Fax: +49(0)39200/ 76 737
or via Citizens´Office of the town of Schönebeck (Elbe)
Tel.: +49(0)3928/ 710 611-613

Opening hours:
Tues: 9 - 12 a.m. and 1 - 6 p.m.
Thurs: 9 - 12 a.m.

Local museum opening hours:
May to September
Sun: 1 - 5 p.m.
public holidays closed
visits outside the opening hours available upon request
Tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51150
Emailcontact


For further information see:
www.ploetzky.de (external link)
locality of Plötzky >>

 


St__Thomas_ChurchPretzien

The locality of Pretzien originated as a Slav settlement. 
It was first mentioned in a document in 1151 as "brithzin - "place beside the birches".
Today it nestles between the Elbe meadows and the heathlands around Gommern (known as the ? Gommeraner Heide?) close to Magdeburg.

Pretzien won renown as a result of its quarries; quarzite stone was quarried here and shipped over the Elbe as early as the 12th century.
Around the year 1900 as many as 1000 ships per year moored in the stone haven (?Steinhafen?).

This former embark point has now become a popular starting point for water tourists.

After their closure, the many quarries filled with water and now 16 delightful woodland lakes with camping sites and holiday chalets provide an idyllic environment for getting away from it all.
Bathing, fishing, diving and cycling are some of the leisure activities that can be pursued.

Thanks to its traditional village structure enhanced by modern infrastructural amenities, along with its picturesque setting, Pretzien is a highly attractive place for living and for recreation.
Restaurants, cafés, shopping facilities, as well as doctor?s and dentist?s surgeries are available locally.

Sights:
St. Thomas?s Church, gate panel weir, "Steinhafen" sports boat harbour

Pretzien Local Office (Ortschaftsbüro Pretzien)
Address: August-Bebel-Straße 24, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Pretzien
Tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 945
Fax: +49(0)39200/ 51 399
or via Citizens´Office of the town of Schönebeck (Elbe)
Tel.: +49(0)3928/ 710 611-613

For further information see:
www.pretzien.de (external link)
locality of Pretzien >>

Opening hours:
Mon: 1 - 3 p.m.
Tues: 9 - 12 a.m. and 4 - 6 p.m.
Fri: 10 - 12 a.m.

Pretzien Tourist Information Office
Address: Am Park 26, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Pretzien
Tel.: +49(0)39200/ 76828
Emailcontact

Opening hours:
May - September
Mon - Sat: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sun: 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

 


planets_trail_1Ranies

Ranies was first mentioned in a document in 1176. 
Originally a village with fortifications, there is now nothing visible of the former manor house or the fortifications. 
Ranies is located in the glacial valley of the Elbe between the Alte Elbe (Old Elbe) and the main course of the River Elbe. 

Surrounded by waterbodies and an almost completely unadulterated natural environment, Ranies is a green island that is tailor-made for tourists seeking relaxation.

Typical features of Ranies, as of many Elbe villages, are the four-sided courtyards, often with elaborate gateway arches, extensive gardens and trees growing close to the houses.

The area around Ranies is famous for its old oak trees. 
Particularly in the Sängerwäldchen woods or in the Elbe meadows there are solitary trees that are more than 300 years old.
Here you can cycle, hike, ride or simply enjoy nature.

A special attraction that can well be recommended is the Planets Trail, which leads from Ranies in the direction of Schönebeck.
On the dyke there is a 5.96 km long trail that illustrates the dimensions of our solar system in terms of both size and distance.

The sense of tradition and local identity among the people of Ranies is given expression in numerous festivals; a particularly popular and well-known one is the Shrove Monday procession.

Sights:
Planets Trail on the Elbe Cycle Route, Sängerwäldchen, Church of St. Luke

Ranies Local Office (Ortschaftsbüro Ranies)
Address: Dorfstraße 1, 39217 Schönebeck (Elbe) OT Ranies
Tel.: +49(0)39200/ 51 943
Fax: +49(0)39200/ 66 614
or via Citizens´Office of the town of Schönebeck (Elbe)
Tel.: +49(0)3928/ 710 611-613

Opening hours:
monthly every second Tuesday: 4 - 6 p.m.

For further information see:
locality of Ranies >> 

 


town_of_SchnebeckSchönebeck (Elbe)
 
Sights:
Banks of the River Elbe with the Salzblume sculpture and shipping pier, Salt Tower, district museum, Holocaust memorial, St. John?s Church, St. James?s Church, Gertraudenfriedhof (cemetery) with chapel, Solepark with the Kunsthof, ?Solequell? (brine spring) leisure pool, brine evaporation works, "Lindenbad" spa centre, Schalomhaus (former synagogue), Bierer Berg with Heimattiergarten (animal park) and restaurant


Schönebeck Tourist Information Office (Stadtinformation)
Location: Schönebeck
Address: Markt 21, 39218 Schönebeck (Elbe)
Tel.: +49(0)3928/ 84 27 42
Fax: +49(0)3928/ 84 27 56
stadtinfo-stadt@solepark.de

Opening hours
Mon - Fri: 9 a.m. - 12.30 a.m. and 1.30 p.m. - 6 p.m. 
Sat: 9 a.m. - 12 a.m.

Location: Schönebeck/Bad Salzelmen
Address: Badepark 1 ("The Red House" near the Brine Tower), 39218 Schönebeck (Elbe) 
Tel.: +49(0)3928/ 70 55 55
Fax: +49(0)3928/ 70 55 56
stadtinfo-park@solepark.de

Opening hours
Mon closed
Tues - Fri: 10 a.m. - 12.30 a.m. and 1.30 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Sat, Sun, public holidays: 2 p.m. - 6 p.m. 
24 to 26 and 31 December closed
 


watchtower_PrinzBarby 

Information Office in the Local Administration Offices
Address: Markt 14, 39249 Barby (Elbe)
Tel.: +49(0)39298/ 672-0
Fax: +49(0)39298/ 672-20
Emailcontact 
http://www.stadt-barby.de/
(external link)


Sights:
town wall with watchtowers ?Prinzesschen? (now gallery) and ?Prinz?, water level house, former palace (now Land Registry Archives), Haus der Begegnung (former local court), manor house, Chapel of St. George, St. Mary?s Church, St. John?s Church, town wall

Opening hours "Prinzesschen"
Sat: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
visits outside the opening hours available upon request
Tel.: +49(0)39298/68 510

Opening hours "Prinz"
Sun: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
visits outside the opening hours available upon request
Tel.: +49(0)39298/68 510

 


museum_barge_Marie-GerdaBreitenhagen

Tourist Information
on the museum barge "Marie-Gerda" 
Tel.: +49(0)39294/ 25960
museumsschiff-marie-gerda@web.de



Sights:
village church, mill

Museum barge "Marie-Gerda" 
Address: Fährstelle 1, 39240 Barby OT Breitenhagen
Tel.: +49(0)39294/ 25960
museumsschiff-marie-gerda@web.de

Museum opening hours:
Tours (also outside the opening hours) available upon request

 


peace_race_museumKleinmühlingen
 
Peace Race Museum
Address: Grabenstr. 21,
39221 Bördeland OT Kleinmühlingen
Tel.: +49(0)39291/ 465570
Fax: +49(0)39291/ 465571
emailcontact
http://www.friedensfahrt-museum.de/(external link)

Opening hours:
April to October
Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
visits outside the opening hours available upon request

For further information via the club ?Radfreizeit, Friedensfahrt und Radsportgeschichte e.V.?
(Leisure cycling, the Peace Race and cycling history)
Contact: Horst Schäfer

If you have any questions and/or remarks with regard to the above-mentioned information you can send them by email to:
Contact